“The list is the origin of culture. It’s part of the history of art and literature. What does culture want? To make infinity comprehensible. It also wants to create order — not always, but often. And how, as a human being, does one face infinity? How does one attempt to grasp the incomprehensible? Through lists, through catalogs, through collections in museums and through encyclopedias and dictionaries. There is an allure to enumerating how many women Don Giovanni slept with: It was 2,063, at least according to Mozart’s librettist, Lorenzo da Ponte. We also have completely practical lists — the shopping list, the will, the menu — that are also cultural achievements in their own right.”
- How To Write a Movie
- Marilyn Monroe’s 1955 New Year’s resolution list,
- thenearsightedmonkey:”Drawing tips from the great GARY PANTER!”
- “Steve Lacy wrote down a list of advice from jazz pianist Thelonious Monk”
- “10 Things I’ve Learned In The 2 Years Since I Graduated From Art School”
- Another day, another to do list.